Description - Assessment, Bureaucracy, and Consolidation by Donald Parkerson
American education has changed dramatically over the last century. The small, locally controlled school, supported by a concerned educational village fostered learning, personal accountability, patriotism and economic growth for a young nation. Today, however, American schools are typically large, consolidated, bureaucratic organizations controlled by state and/or municipal governments. The administration of these schools is hierarchical and corporate in form while its curriculum is oriented toward the needs of the business community. Assessment through standardized testing, moreover, has become the cornerstone of American education. Assessment, Bureaucracy, and Consolidation: The Issues Facing Schools Today examines this remarkable transformation in the form and function of education and assesses the problems and possibilities for the future of schools and our nation. Additional key features of this book include:
* A clear comprehensive history of the modern American school from the nineteenth century to the present and its impact on teachers, students, parents and the community at large
* An Explanation of the impact of bureaucratic organization and the movement toward large schools
* Critiques of past reform experiments in public education
* A Placement of the contemporary standardized assessment movement in historical context
* A reevaluation of the relationship between education and business
* An evaluation of returning education to locally controlled schools, reconnecting educational practitioners with the educational village
Buy Assessment, Bureaucracy, and Consolidation by Donald Parkerson from Australia's Online Independent Bookstore, Boomerang Books.
(229mm x 152mm x mm)
Rowman & Littlefield
Publisher: Rowman & Littlefield
Country of Publication:
Other Editions - Assessment, Bureaucracy, and Consolidation by Donald Parkerson
Book Reviews - Assessment, Bureaucracy, and Consolidation by Donald Parkerson
» Have you read this book? We'd like to know what you think about it - write a review about Assessment, Bureaucracy, and Consolidation book by Donald Parkerson and you'll earn 50c in Boomerang Bucks loyalty dollars (you must be a Boomerang Books Account Holder - it's free to sign up and there are great benefits!)
Author Biography - Donald Parkerson
Donald Parkerson is Distinguished Professor of Teaching in the History Department at East Carolina University. This is his fifth book focusing on the history of education with his colleague and coauthor, Jo Ann Parkerson. Jo Ann Parkerson is professor emerita of education at Methodist University. She draws upon her extensive teaching background as coauthor of five books on educational history.
A Preview for this title is currently not available.