Description - How to Examine a Thesis by Dr. Lynne Pearce
* What is involved in examining a research-based higher degree?
* What are the roles of the internal and external examiners?
* What are the hidden agendas of higher degree examining?
* What are the essential ingredients of a `good' viva?
This handbook offers a revealing insight into the written - and unwritten - rules and regulations of higher degree examination in the United Kingdom today. Addressed directly to the examiners, it contains a step-by-step account of the different stages of the examination process in order to provide an insiders' guide into what to expect before, during and after the oral examination.
How to Examine a Thesis covers important issues such as:
* The power-relations between the two (or more) examiners
* Hidden agendas and foul play
* Examples of guidelines and regulations across different institutions
* Advice on MPhil as well as doctoral examinations
This book is essential reading for all higher degree examiners but is also of importance to those supervising, and studying for, higher degrees. Moreover, although the book focuses primarily on current practices in the United Kingdom, comparisons are drawn with continental Europe, Australia and the United States. Research degree examiners, supervisors and students throughout the world will find the book of considerable interest.
Buy How to Examine a Thesis by Dr. Lynne Pearce from Australia's Online Independent Bookstore, Boomerang Books.
(230mm x 153mm x 10mm)
Open University Press
Publisher: Open University Press
Country of Publication:
Other Editions - How to Examine a Thesis by Dr. Lynne Pearce
Book Reviews - How to Examine a Thesis by Dr. Lynne Pearce