Description - Coade Stone by Hans van Lemmen
The Coade stone factory in London, which was active between 1769 and 1840, was owned and managed by Mrs Eleanor Coade, a remarkable Georgian business woman. Her firm produced all kinds of architectural ornaments and statues, which were used by leading Georgian architects of the day for the embellishment of town and country houses and other important buildings. Coade stone was fired clay made using a special formula, but it was marketed as 'artificial stone' since at that time stone was the preferred material for architectural decoration. This book charts the history of Coade stone, the techniques of production, the sculptors who provided designs, and the architects who used it.
Buy Coade Stone by Hans van Lemmen from Australia's Online Independent Bookstore, Boomerang Books.
(250mm x 150mm x 5mm)
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
Country of Publication:
Book Reviews - Coade Stone by Hans van Lemmen
Author Biography - Hans van Lemmen
Hans van Lemmen taught for many years at Leeds Metroplitan University. He is an established author on the history of tiles and has lectured on the subject in Britain and elsewhere. He has written a number of books on tiles for the Shire Album series and is a found member and presently publications editor of the British Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Society.