Description - Understanding Media Cultures by Nicholas Stevenson
Praise for the First Edition:
`I can't think of a book in media studies that handles so well the diversity of perspectives and issues that Stevenson addresses. Whether reconstructing Marxism or deconstructing postmodernism, tackling the pleasures of soap opera or the repetitive structures of daily news presentation, Stevenson is always clear and insightful' - Sociology
The Second Edition of this book provides a comprehensive overview of the ways in which social theory has attempted to theorize the importance of the media in contemporary society. Now fully revised to take account of the recent theoretical developments associated with `new media' and `information society', as well as the audience and the public sphere, Understanding Media Cultures:
- Critically examines the key social theories of mass communication
- Highlights the work of individual theorists including Fiske, Williams, Hall, Habermas, Jameson, McLuhan and Baudrillard.
- Covers the important traditions of media analysis from feminism, cultural studies and audience research.
- Now includes a discussion of recent perspectives developed by Castells, Haraway, Virilio and Schiller.
- Provides a glossary of key terms in media and social theory.
Retaining all the strengths of the previous edition, Understanding Media Cultures offers a comprehensive and up-to-date overview of the field. It will be essential reading for students of social theory, media and cultural studies.
Buy Understanding Media Cultures by Nicholas Stevenson from Australia's Online Independent Bookstore, Boomerang Books.
(242mm x 170mm x mm)
SAGE Publications Inc
Publisher: SAGE Publications Inc
Country of Publication:
Other Editions - Understanding Media Cultures by Nicholas Stevenson
Book Reviews - Understanding Media Cultures by Nicholas Stevenson
Author Biography - Nicholas Stevenson
Nick Stevenson is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Sociology and Social Policy at the University of Nottingham.