Description - Capitalism and Disability: Selected Writings by Marta Russell by Marta Russell
This book comprises a collection of groundbreaking writings by Marta Russell on the nature of disability and oppression under capitalism.
Spread out over many years and many different publications, the late author and activist Marta Russell wrote a number of groundbreaking and insightful essays on the nature of disability and oppression under capitalism. In this volume, Russell's various essays are brought together in one place in order to provide a useful and expansive resource to those interested in better understanding the ways in which the modern phenomenon of disability is shaped by capitalist economic and social relations.
The essays range in analysis from the theoretical to the topical, including but not limited to:
- The emergence of disability as a 'human category' rooted in the rise of industrial capitalism and the transformation of the conditions of work, family, and society corresponding thereto
- A critique of the shortcomings of a purely 'civil rights approach' to addressing the persistence of disability oppression in the economic sphere, with a particular focus on the legacy of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
- An examination of the changing position of disabled people within the overall system of capitalist production utilising the Marxist economic concepts of the reserve army of the unemployed, the labor theory of value, and the exploitation of wage-labor
- The effects of neoliberal capitalist policies on the living conditions and social position of disabled people as it pertains to welfare, income assistance, health care, and other social security programs
- Imperialism and war as a factor in the further oppression and immiseration of disabled people within the United States and globally
- And the need to build unity against the divisive tendencies which hide the common economic interest shared between disabled people and the often highly-exploited direct care workers who provide services to the former.
Buy Capitalism and Disability: Selected Writings by Marta Russell by Marta Russell from Australia's Online Independent Bookstore, Boomerang Books.
Format: Paperback / softback
(215mm x 139mm x mm)
Publisher: Haymarket Books
Country of Publication:
Book Reviews - Capitalism and Disability: Selected Writings by Marta Russell by Marta Russell
» Have you read this book? We'd like to know what you think about it - write a review about Capitalism and Disability: Selected Writings by Marta Russell book by Marta Russell and you'll earn 50c in Boomerang Bucks loyalty dollars (you must be a Boomerang Books Account Holder - it's free to sign up and there are great benefits!)
A Preview for this title is currently not available.