Description - Leading Well: Building Schoolwide Excellence in Reading and Writing by Lucy Calkins
In Leading Well: Building Schoolwide Excellence in Reading and Writing, Lucy Calkins draws on the transformative work that she and her colleagues at the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project have done in partnership with school leaders over the last thirty years. Travel to any corner of this country, inquire about the schools that are winning acclaim for their joyous and rigorous schoolwide literacy work, and you're apt to find yourself hearing about the results of the remarkable community of practice that has taken root around reading and writing workshop instruction.
This book, like the work of the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project itself, is deeply research-based and principled, while also absolutely practical and real-world tested. Leading Well will provide you with the inspiration and energy you need to rally your teachers to outgrow their own best teaching practices and tackle predictable challenges.
Additionally, Leading Well will remind you that you are part of a vibrant community of practice. You'll learn not only from Lucy Calkins and from contributing authors, Mary Ehrenworth and Laurie Pessah, but also from talented, tenacious, and imaginative school leaders who are creating new horizons for the world of education.
Topics addressed include:
Planning for Literacy Reform
Lifting the Level of Teaching
- Supporting teachers in implementing reading and writing workshops
- Tapping the insight and talents of teachers, and rallying key individuals to join your cabinet of literacy leaders
- Honing your vision for reform and communicating it to the whole school
- Leading through influence rather than compliance
Building Structures across the School and Community
- Defining the goals for your teachers and the priorities for students
- Establishing the structures and culture that support these goals and priorities
- Protecting independent reading and writing time for students and planning time for teachers
- Identifying ways to coach and nurture teachers' skills in the specific methods of instruction of the Units of Study
- Supporting teachers' continuing professional development
The book is for school leaders who've invited their teachers to join them in the exhilarating work of adopting a dynamic, rigorous, student-centered language arts curriculum. It is for school leaders who have taken on the challenge of transforming their whole school into a place where everyone's potential, for learning and for growth, is sky high.
- Setting up feedback cycles through instructional rounds and targeted conversations
- Putting in place rituals and traditions to support your school community's unique character
- Addressing resistance with radical candor and learning from it
- Staying the course while integrating new initiatives
- Engaging parents and building your own professional learning community
Buy Leading Well: Building Schoolwide Excellence in Reading and Writing by Lucy Calkins from Australia's Online Independent Bookstore, Boomerang Books.
Format: Paperback / softback
Heinemann Educational Books,U.S.
Publisher: Heinemann USA
Country of Publication:
Book Reviews - Leading Well: Building Schoolwide Excellence in Reading and Writing by Lucy Calkins
» Have you read this book? We'd like to know what you think about it - write a review about Leading Well: Building Schoolwide Excellence in Reading and Writing book by Lucy Calkins and you'll earn 50c in Boomerang Bucks loyalty dollars (you must be a Boomerang Books Account Holder - it's free to sign up and there are great benefits!)
A Preview for this title is currently not available.