Description - Patterns of Child Abuse by Michael Karson
Interpret the hidden meaning of family roles to help children at risk!Because dysfunctional patterns are closed systems that serve a secret purpose, they are almost impossible to change from the outside. Patterns of Child Abuse helps you recognize the purpose behind the patterns and offers successful strategies for entering the pattern in order to help family members without joining it and becoming part of the dysfunction. Patterns of Child Abuse identifies the most common, most problematic patterns and explores their hidden meanings. Case studies and theoretical discussions demonstrate the ways family patterns are replicated in a child's psyche and the ways the grown-up child replicates the familiar family pattern, forcing the world to bend to the story within. Synthesizing systems theory, behaviorism, and psychoanalysis, Patterns of Child Abuse offers powerful insights as well as practical strategies for dealing with such complex issues as:
Well-written and insightful, Patterns of Child Abuse conveys a sound theoretical model and a sophisticated approach to the psychology of individuals and families for the child welfare professional.
- how to comfort an abused child who cannot bear to be touched
- why abused children idealize their battering or neglectful parent
- how borderline personality organization affects individuals and their families
- handling the sexually powerful teenage girl, the disruptive boy, and the mother of the sexual abuse victim
- how family patterns operate in therapeutic context
- why therapists and social workers may encounter conflicts in child welfare cases
- when and how paradoxical interventions can work
Buy Patterns of Child Abuse by Michael Karson from Australia's Online Independent Bookstore, Boomerang Books.
Format: Paperback / softback
(216mm x 156mm x mm)
Routledge Member of the Taylor and Francis Group
Publisher: Taylor & Francis Inc
Country of Publication:
Other Editions - Patterns of Child Abuse by Michael Karson
Book Reviews - Patterns of Child Abuse by Michael Karson
» Have you read this book? We'd like to know what you think about it - write a review about Patterns of Child Abuse book by Michael Karson and you'll earn 50c in Boomerang Bucks loyalty dollars (you must be a Boomerang Books Account Holder - it's free to sign up and there are great benefits!)
A Preview for this title is currently not available.