Description - Tales from the Perilous Realm by J. R. R. Tolkien
This is the definitive collection of Tolkien's five acclaimed modern classic 'fairie' tales in the vein of The Hobbit, fully corrected and reset for this edition and all beautifully illustrated in pencil by the award-winning artist, Alan Lee.
The five tales are written with the same skill, quality and charm that made The Hobbit a classic. Largely overlooked because of their short lengths, they are finally together in a volume which reaffirms Tolkien's place as a master storyteller for readers young and old.
* Roverandom is a toy dog who, enchanted by a sand sorcerer, gets to explore the world and encounter strange and fabulous creatures.
* Farmer Giles of Ham is fat and unheroic, but - having unwittingly managed to scare off a short-sighted giant - is called upon to do battle when a dragon comes to town;
* The Adventures of Tom Bombadil tells in verse of Tom's many adventures with hobbits, princesses, dwarves and trolls;
* Leaf by Niggle recounts the strange adventures of the painter Niggle who sets out to paint the perfect tree;
* Smith of Wootton Major journeys to the Land of Faery thanks to the magical ingredients of the Great Cake of the Feast of Good Children.
This new collection is fully illustrated throughout by Oscar-winning artist, Alan Lee, who provides a wealth of pencil drawings to bring the stories to life as he did so memorably for The Hobbit and The Children of Hurin. Alan also provides an Afterword, in which he opens the door into illustrating Tolkien's world.
Taken together, this rich collection of tales from the author of The Children of Hurin will provide the reader with a fascinating journey into lands as wild and strange as Middle-earth.
Buy Tales from the Perilous Realm by J. R. R. Tolkien from Australia's Online Independent Bookstore, Boomerang Books.
(228mm x 149mm x 38mm)
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Country of Publication:
Other Editions - Tales from the Perilous Realm by J. R. R. Tolkien
Book Reviews - Tales from the Perilous Realm by J. R. R. Tolkien
» Have you read this book? We'd like to know what you think about it - write a review about Tales from the Perilous Realm book by J. R. R. Tolkien and you'll earn 50c in Boomerang Bucks loyalty dollars (you must be a Boomerang Books Account Holder - it's free to sign up and there are great benefits!)
A Preview for this title is currently not available.