Description - Tourism in the Antartic by Thomas Bauer
Ecotourism and adventure tours offer unique tourism opportunities in the Antarctic! Are you prepared to make the most of them?Tourism in the Antarctic analyzes tourism activities in the most remote tourist destination in the world! It establishes visitor profiles; discusses the impacts of tourism on the region; and explores barriers, opportunities, and future directions in Antarctic tourism. The emergence of ecotourism has turned Antarctica into an increasingly popular tourist destination for intrepid travelers. During the 1999/2000 season, approximately 15,000 passengers visited Antarctica by ship. Tourism in the Antarctic discusses the new and exciting opportunities for tourism business operators in the region, as well as the ramifications of increased numbers of visitors to this unique environment.In these pages, you will find discussions of issues related to Antarctic tourism including:
The author's observations and experiences during cruises to the Antarctic Peninsula, the sub-Antarctic islands and the Ross Sea, as well as during overflights of Antarctica, are the basis of this unique volume. Generously embellished with charts and tables that make it easy to track activities, opinions, trends, and environmental statistics, this book is an essential reference for anyone teaching, studying, or planning to operate a tourism business in this part of the world.
- regulation of the tourism industry under the Antarctic Treaty System, and self-regulation provided by business operators
- trends and predictions for numbers of visitors to the region
- tourist attractions that are natural, man-made, spiritual, or scientific in nature
- wildlife of Antarctica: seals and whales, flying sea birds, penguins, etc.
- international law as it relates to the region
- ship-based tourism opportunities from yachts and small expedition-type vessels to very large cruise ships and icebreakers
- air- and land-based tourism opportunities in the region from private expeditions to overflights
- an overview of current tourism operations in other remote areas: the Arctic region, the Galapagos Islands, Alaska, New Zealand's Sub-Antarctic Islands, and more
Buy Tourism in the Antartic by Thomas Bauer from Australia's Online Independent Bookstore, Boomerang Books.
(229mm x 159mm x 19mm)
Routledge Member of the Taylor and Francis Group
Publisher: Taylor & Francis Inc
Country of Publication:
Book Reviews - Tourism in the Antartic by Thomas Bauer
» Have you read this book? We'd like to know what you think about it - write a review about Tourism in the Antartic book by Thomas Bauer and you'll earn 50c in Boomerang Bucks loyalty dollars (you must be a Boomerang Books Account Holder - it's free to sign up and there are great benefits!)
A Preview for this title is currently not available.