Description - World Railway Journeys by Julian Holland
Discover the fascinating histories and routes of 50 of the world's most scenic railways. Railway expert Julian Holland takes you on a journey around the world.
Take a journey around the world by rail, from the American Rockies to the Australian outback, covering 50 routes from 35 countries. Detailed commentary on the geography and history of each line, from leading railways expert Julian Holland, is complemented by prestigious Times mapping and beautiful photography.
Railway journeys include;
* Le Petit Train Jaune in the Pyrenees featuring France's highest railway station.
* Cape Town to Kimberley in South Africa a feat of late Victorian engineering through the Hex River Mountains and across the Karoo Desert.
* Qinghai-Tibet Railway in China contains the highest railway, tunnel and station in the world.
* Trans-Australian Railway in Australia contains the world's longest stretch of dead straight track.
* Cumbres & Toltec Railroad in USA takes passengers on an awe-inspiring scenic 64-mile journey through the Rocky Mountains along the Colorado-New Mexico border.
* La Trochita in Argentina where original oil-fired steam locomotives travel along a narrow gauge railway in the shadow of the Andes Mountains.
Buy World Railway Journeys by Julian Holland from Australia's Online Independent Bookstore, Boomerang Books.
Format: Paperback / softback
(210mm x 148mm x 19mm)
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Country of Publication:
Book Reviews - World Railway Journeys by Julian Holland
» Have you read this book? We'd like to know what you think about it - write a review about World Railway Journeys book by Julian Holland and you'll earn 50c in Boomerang Bucks loyalty dollars (you must be a Boomerang Books Account Holder - it's free to sign up and there are great benefits!)
Author Biography - Julian Holland
Writer and photographer on many railway books, including the highly acclaimed The Times Mapping the Railways (2011), Britain's Scenic Railways (2012) and Exploring Britain's Lost Railways (HarperCollins, 2013). Regularly interviewed to discuss railways, recently by BBC and ITV, as well as other national and local media.
A Preview for this title is currently not available.